Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Yes, teaching English. Cause for concern for my high school teachers back home.

Part of my work out regimen. Chess
every day. Moving these babies is
making me huge.
That is good to hear about the cougars win! I really hope they win it this next week though! haha It is so weird that it is already football season again!

Yeah, so first week with the comp! It has been really fun! He has been teaching me how to do the wave with my arm and I almost got it down! haha We have had some really good game nights! Last time there was 25 people there and it was way fun!  We played a skittles game where you pretty much end up having 100 skittles in your mouth! haha It was way funny, but it was a little scary at the end because Zhana( the funny babushka)wouldn't quit and she kept on getting way unlucky! haha We ended the game early because we didn't want her choking.

Lost in one of the famous Russian
subway mazes.
This was a good week as in terms of service! We had 10 hours this week and I really feel it made a big difference in some of our member's lives. One member, Peter Kolpakov, hadn't had missionaries over in a few years because his house is so hard to find. So we went out and helped with all the weeds in his backyard. It was a lot of work but the family was so grateful and appreciative!

Our English club is also going well. We have a set time now when we come. We go on Fridays at six o'clock. Other than that, we can come any time we want and help out with a lesson. That has been really helpful and has given us a good fallback plan in case something falls through at the church. The English group is just a block or so away from us.

If you know where this is, call
for help!
As far as lessons go we need to step it up a little bit. Amazing experience with Nikita (unicycle investigator) the other day. We were sitting next to each other during testimony meeting and I said, half jokingly, you should go up! He went really quiet and said that he wanted to. So he waited a little bit but members just kept walking up, and unfortunately he did not have the opportunity to go. After the meeting I asked him about it. I asked why he wanted to go up he said it was because he felt something and he thought it was the Holy Ghost! I was so excited because he had never said anything like that before! He told me he would go home and reflect on the feeling after church. We will be meeting with him this week to follow up on that. He has been one of my favorite people to work with in Volgograd so I am super excited for this. The real thing that is holding him back is the Book of Mormon. He doesn't understand the writing in it and how to apply it to himself. We have tried reading it with him, giving him assignments to read and so forth, but nothing has come from it yet. If you have any ideas about how we can help him recognize that he has a testimony of this church, or help him start reading, we would love to hear them.

I am doing alright as a volunteer. Still definitely not into the full swing of things yet. For some reason it is just not so easy to turn the switch and automatically switch from missionary to volunteer. Something I will be praying for a lot this week is understanding my calling better - finding joy in being a volunteer.


I love you guys! have a good week.(:

Basketball with my bros.

No comments:

Post a Comment