Monday, September 19, 2016

Dancing in a taxi

Wow, I have never worked so hard in my life! My mission is completely different then really any other in the world. When this volunteer thing started, after a couple weeks I thought how much easier, funner, and happier a normal mission would be; what would have happened if I’d just checked the state-side box? I don't think that way anymore. I love my mission. I love that we are doing different things to progress the struggling work in Russia. I love that the Lord has trusted me enough to be in Russia, and not only that but in this most strange time. The people in Russia associate Mormons with people who steal apartments and stuff like that. We have a really bad name. Part of my work is just getting people to know we are good, nice people just trying to help out. We are dressing more casual now and not as “standoffish.” We can wear sweaters and khakis (I got the same khaki's the AP has).

This is only Heck's Kitchen
Tonight we are having a lesson with the Golvenkovis (District president’s family). They are one of the coolest families in Russia. The zone leaders and the tri-companionship of sisters are coming too. We do a cook off every Monday. First we have a spiritual thought, then we eat and President Golvenkovi chooses the best dish. Sisters have won every time, though we have only been doing this for two weeks. After all that we play games. I have decided that Elder Burwell and I are going to win this time. So of course, I chose mom’s wonderful sweet n' sour. Hopefully we will win. The sisters are making cinnamon rolls and the zone leaders are making a double smack daddy, which is pretty much just two layers of pizza. You eat it out of the pan, cutting out squares like lasagna. I feel confident that the sweet n’ sour chicken will beat out the double smack daddy but I am not sure about the cinnamon rolls. Russians don't even have Chinese restaurants here so this will be the Golvenkovis’ first time eating something like this. Burwell and I also are in charge of the spiritual thought. We are going all out. There is magic and fire involved in our spiritual thought “presentation” so it should be fun.

Last week at the Golvenkovis I had a big headache. When I got to their house they noticed I wasn’t feeling good and president had me sit down. He started playing around with my neck and I knew he was going to try and do the same thing Monty does when he cracks the whole neck. I had such a big head ache I didn’t care that a Russian was about to crack my neck. He did it and everyone gasped. Everyone thought President Golvenkovi had just killed me! haha He cracked my neck again and I felt a lot better. What a great blessing! He is probably the only guy in Volgograd that could do something like that and I was at his house that day! haha It was great.

All I can say is we better win
Recently we were going to family home evening with the zone leaders in a taxi. This Armenian was driving and he was playing some weird Armenian music. He didn’t speak the best Russian so we were just having a good time with him. One of the zone leaders said in English “Hey, someone ask him to put on American music” (jokingly). So I say “Hey, man, you got some American music we can listen too?” haha We all started kind of dancing in the taxi and the Armenian guy wasn't sure whether he should kick us out or embrace it. Anyways, we were close to our destination and the roads were all dirt and really bumpy. That is when the Armenian started blasting the music (he embraced it) and we all started dancing way hard. It was so funny we were all crying! hahaha Maybe you had to be there.

At a game night this week I met an African named Nana. He is a non-member and he only came for a bit because something came up. I hurried up and asked for his number so we could meet sometime, and he gave it to me! Man, that has not happened in a while. I definitely miss that feeling! So hopefully we will be able to start meeting with him. We couldn't invite him to church because of the law, so we tried to get others to invite him but it didn’t work out. We will give him a call for game night this Thursday!

We also have been trying to do some work with a few Indians. One recent convert named Stefan. He doesn't have a testimony that this is the only true church, though he does believe it is a good place. So we started talking about the Book of Mormon and it turns out he is only on the 4th chapter! Of 1 Nephi! No wonder he doesn't have the strongest testimony. So we had a lesson on the Book of Mormon and we told him he has two choices: read the Book of Mormon or don’t read the Book of Mormon. We promised him that if he reads the Book of Mormon he will get a testimony. We also promised him that if he chooses the latter, he will never have a testimony of this church. I gave him a call last night and he has been reading! We set up a meeting for Saturday and will be discussing what he has learned. Another Indian came to church and wants to know more. We gave him the time for when we meet, but unfortunately he didn’t show up. The other Indian we are working with is Karoon. He also said he was going to come to church but for some reason failed to make it. Haven't been able to get ahold of him since.

Zone conference was this week and it was such a spiritual feast. It is always a good opportunity to think about what I can be doing better. I love you guys! haha I promise I am working hard out here.(:


Elder Weston
I was standing in a hole

No comments:

Post a Comment