Monday, February 27, 2017

Brat Viktor

Knife throwing practice with branch
president after church
This week has been miraculous. Five non-members were at church yesterday and 3 less actives attended. It was so great to see them all there! Two active young people were not there, but four kids who were less active/non-members were there! This means we could have 6 little kids coming to church regularly! We just need to work with their parents. One of the parents said she would come more often if we had someone who would watch her kids during the second and third hours. So, I spoke to President Mozel about calling someone to be a primary teacher and told him Elder Williams and I would be more than happy to assist them in that calling.

A little rusty
Elder Williams still thinks he will never be able to speak to people normally, especially in stressful situations. I support him and encourage him in every possible way I can. He is definitely doing his part on being qualified as a missionary and a good language speaker. It just takes time. I remember when I had been out seven months, I saw a member I hadn’t seen in a while and he said “Hey, when did you start speaking Russian!?” Elder Williams will get there.

My studies have been as miraculous as the work here! I have been studying agency but continued into faith and character. I will share some of the thoughts I have learned about agency, faith, and character.
Out and about
The power of agency is the power to choose for ourselves. Really basic. Though the realization came to me that God made us to act upon things that would not change had we not acted upon them. Such knowledge leads one to faith.

Faith is "things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." Faith is how we grow, and it is how we use our agency if we are using it correctly. We prepare to meet God by exercising our faith.

Russia
My last topic has been character. J. Richard Clark once said, "character is the power to act upon principle—the discipline to follow through with resolutions long after the spirit in which they were made has passed. As another writer states: In the crisis of temptation, in the battle of life, when struggle comes from within or without, it is our strength, heroism, virtue and constancy—our character—which defends and secures our happiness and honor.”

Back of the bus
One of the many beauties of the gospel is that a person can change who they are through faith in Jesus Christ. Your past does not define you, but your outlook on the future may. By exercising faith in Jesus Christ one is led to humility, and gradually aligns his will with the Father's, thus changing his character, even the very essence of he is.

Chainsaw action
I have taken special notice to exercise my faith in Christ and grow this week. In a result, I have never felt so happy, energetic, and enthusiastic about what I am doing here in Novocherkassk. I am changing who I am, and becoming who I want to be.

Love you,
Elder Weston

p.s. Okay, my friend Elder Tucker forwarded this email from one of his friends (Elder du Randt) who is on a mission in Chicago. You know how I have been worried about Viktor? He was baptized in October, but he went to Ukraine and nobody has heard from him in a month. Well, he’s in America!
A little more chainsaw action
This week, a member who was baptized in a branch in Rostov moved to Chicago. His name is Brat Victor and he says you served in the branch that he was baptized in! After investigating for a year, he knew that the church was true and was baptized. He shared the gospel with everyone he could, until the Russian government started a criminal case against him. A week ago, after displaying so much faith, he moved to Chicago to be able to practice his religion! He walked into a chapel and couldn't communicate with anyone. The elders figured out that he was Russian, so they called my companion.
Teaching Elder Williams the
crucial art of cutting an old
Russian's hair
After chatting for a while we figured out his situation and then on Saturday night, we had an appointment with him! He was so happy and even though I couldn't understand a darn thing he said, I could feel his testimony and his love for the gospel. Today (Sunday), we reached out to a few Russian families that Elder Semenenkov knows. We have been able to put Victor in contact with these families, and in a short week, Brat Victor has friends in the church, a job, and a place to live here in Chicago. In a mere week, the Lord answered his prayers and helped him get settled into a place that he knows nothing about. Brat Victor said that a missionary in his branch promised him that no matter where he goes, if he walks into a church building, he will find friends, family, and a support group.
We are going to a dinner with Victor and a few Russian families thisSaturday, so I will keep you posted on Brat Victors spiritual and temporal progress here in Chicago! Thanks for the hard work you're doing in Russia. I know it's not easy, but after having this experience in getting to know Victor, I know that the work in Russia and everywhere else is overseen by a loving Heavenly Father. I love you brother! Keep working hard to being souls unto Christ, I've been working hard since day one and have no intentions of slowing down!
 Isn’t that awesome?!?!
Men's Day. We should have this in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment